Fair with Haze ~
High: 88°F ~ Low: 71°F
Saturday, July 4, 2015
Gas Depression BluesPosted Wednesday, November 7, 2007, at 6:58 PM
I guess I am the eternal optimist, because the high gas prices didn't bother me - until yesterday. I went to Sikeston (which usually has the lowest prices around), and I didn't even look at the prices there. Instead, I attended my meeting, came home, dropped off my friend at her house, and went to the office, secure in the misguided belief that gas was still in that $2.79 range outside the Advance city limits.
Imagine my horror when I discovered that my sweet little reliable dial-up station on the edge of town was displaying a price tag of $2.95! I sat in shock for fully five minutes, I think, staring at the sign, hoping that my occasional dyslexsia was mixing up the numbers.
Not so! It was real. Horrifyingly real! I was so shocked that I couldn't buy any. I just came on home, thinking, "What am I gonna do??"
Here we are, headed into winter with those prices?
My mind is racing to come up with energy-saving ideas:
* Axe the field trips?
* Stay home and send my stories in by email?
* Reduce my highway speed to 40 m.p.h.?
* Car pool? (Yeah, out here? Who would I catch a ride with - the school bus?)
* Start out at 7 a.m. and walk to town? (Think I could do it in an hour? Mmmm...7-10 miles? I don't think so... Better start out at six. That allows me 3 hours. I know I can walk 3 miles an hour... Mmm..Is it light at six? I'm not sure. I'd need reflective clothing. Oh, darn - My dogs'll follow me. Then they'll get run over on the highway. What am I saying? I'll probably get run over on the highway, too!) Well, axe that idea!
* Get a horse? (My last horse bit me!) Axe that idea!
* Get a motorcycle? (The thing would fall over on me!) Axe that idea!
* Buy an economy car? (Which will get hopelessly stuck in the mud out here in the hills in the wintertime!) Axe that idea!
* Get one of those money-back gas cards guaranteed to save 25% off your gas bill? (I don't trust it! There's gotta be a catch!)
Okay, folks, let's put our heads together and figure it out! How do we fight back?
From the distant hills of Tillman, this is your befuddled and bewildered journalist, Madeline, signing off...
Showing comments in chronological order
[Show most recent comments first]
Respond to this blog
Posting a comment requires free registration:
Madeline (Giles) DeJournett is the Advance writer for the North Stoddard Countian. A retired high school English/history teacher, she spent 32 years teaching in 5 schools in Missouri and Alaska. These days, she lives quietly with a menagerie of wild and domestic animals on 52 secluded acres in the remote Tillman hills south of Advance. She graduated from Dexter High School in 1960 and Southeast Missouri State in 1964. She can be contacted at email@example.com or by phone at 573-722-5322.