High: 80°F ~ Low: 56°F
Saturday, May 25, 2013
Best laid plans of Mice and Men...Posted Tuesday, June 16, 2009, at 3:38 PM
* Free WiFi is about as hard to find as cheap gas.
* My new mini laptop is pretty much useless w/o WiFi and I'm too cheap to purchase that $60 a month deally-bob thing which gives you WiFi wherever you are.
* My fingers are unbelievably FAT! I must learn how to type on that tiny keyboard!
* I can live a week w/o checking my e-mail, but the withdrawal symptoms are not pretty.
On a more cheerful note, I've also learned that:
* My one-year-old Minnesota granddaughter is adorable! It took three days for her to warm up to me enough to smile, but it was certainly worth it!
* Like my cohort Minnie, I learned the importance of Mermaid Barbie. My three-year old granddaughter (in photo) is obsessed by all things Barbie and all things Disney. If I read "The Little Mermaid" and "Snow White" once, I'll bet I read them at least 25 times.
* My five-year-old grandson (shown) is obsessed with Star Wars, Star Trek, and all things ALIEN. Minneapolis even has the "Alien Place," a restaurant, where a large alien stands on the corner and waves us in, the universe shines from the ceiling, and the kids can win prizes in the game room. (The food is even good.)
* The Minneapolis area is so CLEAN and BEAUTIFUL, but it takes forever to get anywhere! Especially with three children in car seats! Other than the Alien Place, we went to the Zoo, a nearby park, several eating establishments, the movies (The new animated movie "UP" is WONDERFUL!!!), and a gymnastic studio (watched lessons for 3 & 5 year olds). No, we didn't hit the Mall of America this time. We just didn't feel strong enough for that.
* The power company has its own wind turbine. Wow. My son Todd says that solar power isn't too practical in Minnesota (for obvious reasons), but they have lots of wind. (Or was he talking about the politicians?)
* The weather was IDYLLIC! When we walked out of the airport last Wednesday, we both said, "Whoa!" and dragged our jackets out of our suitcases (It was 40 degrees, I think), but the rest of the time it was sunny and 70-75 degrees. The sun shone from 5 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. No kidding. June is the month to be in Minnesota. I've been there in October and December, and it's NO FUN!
All things considered, it was a good trip and well worth it. I guess I'll feel that way until I get back to Advance today and find out that I have about a dozen irate messages on my answering machine...
From the green and tree-strewn city of Memphis on the Mississippi, this is your traveling reporter Madeline, coming down from a "Vacation High" and bracing for a return to the flatlands of Southeast Missouri.
Showing comments in chronological order
[Show most recent comments first]
Madeline DeJournett is the Advance writer for the North Stoddard Countian. A retired high school English/history teacher, she spent 32 years teaching in 5 schools in Missouri and Alaska. These days, she lives quietly with a menagerie of wild and domestic animals on 52 secluded acres in the remote Tillman hills south of Advance. She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 573-722-5322.