High: 85°F ~ Low: 67°F
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Lessons from the CatPosted Thursday, July 23, 2009, at 8:22 AM
Princess Leya, who used to belong to my son & daughter-in-law, sleeps up high, far above the DeJournett dog pack.
Lessons from the Cat:
Everyone knows that cats are a breed unto themselves. Many people are either "Cat People" or "Dog People," but I am both. Therefore, this list. My sister has added to it.
* Keep your feet dry.
* Never turn your back on the dog. Dogs do not understand you.
* Get at least 18 hours of sleep each day.
* Sleep up high.
* If you purr, your human will let you do happy feet on her lap.
* Birds and mice are cute and fun to play with. They also taste good.
* Hummingbirds are darned near impossible to catch. That shouldn't stop you from trying, however. There's always hope.
* If visitors don't like you, just keep rubbing against them and purring. They'll come around eventually.
* If you see your human get out the carrier, hide! This probably means a trip to the vet, which cannot be a good thing, any way you look at it.
* When the bug man comes, hide in the basement under the canning shelves.
* You can never take too many naps.
* If you leave clumps of fur on your mom's new dress you'll get held down and brushed. This can either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your personal preference.
* The top of the tv is a warm place to sleep, but easy to fall off of.
* Modern tv sets don't have enough room to curl up so pick the old one.
*The computer mouse doesn't taste good and isn't nearly as much fun to play with as the catnip variety.
* The toes of your Mom's shoes aren't good places to hide your catnip mice.
* If you go onto your mom's bed very early in the morning and bite her on the back of her upper arm, she'll get up and play chase with you.
* You can stare at your human's forehead for hours and they still won't understand you want to be fed. Humans are immune to feline telepathy.
* If you sit in the bathtub (or by the sink) and meow, your mom will give you fresh water. Fresh water tastes much better than what is in your bowl.
* NEVER go in the kitchen while your mom is fixing a big meal and is wearing pointy toed shoes.
* You can wake up the whole house by sitting just out of the dog's reach at any time of the night or early morning. Dogs are stupid; they fall for it every time and they always get blamed.
Showing comments in chronological order
[Show most recent comments first]
Madeline DeJournett is the Advance writer for the North Stoddard Countian. A retired high school English/history teacher, she spent 32 years teaching in 5 schools in Missouri and Alaska. These days, she lives quietly with a menagerie of wild and domestic animals on 52 secluded acres in the remote Tillman hills south of Advance. She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 573-722-5322.