Fair with Haze ~
High: 50°F ~ Low: 37°F
Sunday, Mar. 9, 2014
The Return of Laverne and Shirley!Posted Friday, September 11, 2009, at 11:05 AM
Madeline Giles, Sue Colman, and Judy Adkins ride the FHA float in the Dexter parade, circa 1960. Sue and I were seniors; Judy was a junior. Ah, Happy Days!
This is a classic if ever there was: Look at that cozy windmill and the little flower-strewn picket fence! Judy says that she kept the dress for a long time and remembers that the skirt was blue, the blouses were white, and the vests were RED!
I have no doubt that we looked like twin versions of SNOW WHITE!
I have several observations:
* Why did Sue get to wear the classy red formal with the long white gloves, while we had to dress like something out of a Disney cartoon???? (Mrs. Rankin, what were you thinking?!)
* And why were those horrible CAT EYE glasses so popular in the fifties?? I look like someone from a FAR SIDE CARTOON!
* Why do I have no memory of this life-changing moment in my high school career????
* And why am I posting a photo that makes me look like Laverne dressed up like Snow White, as drawn by Gary Larson in the funny papers...??
* Was the Fonz driving that big beautiful car, which I will show you on my next blog?
If the fins were any bigger, it could fly! In the meantime, I'll ask my automotive expert friend to identify the make and model.
Till then, Happy Days, ya'll!
Showing comments in chronological order
[Show most recent comments first]
Madeline (Giles) DeJournett is the Advance writer for the North Stoddard Countian. A retired high school English/history teacher, she spent 32 years teaching in 5 schools in Missouri and Alaska. These days, she lives quietly with a menagerie of wild and domestic animals on 52 secluded acres in the remote Tillman hills south of Advance. She graduated from Dexter High School in 1960 and Southeast Missouri State in 1964. She can be contacted at email@example.com or by phone at 573-722-5322.