[Nameplate] Fog/Mist ~ 45°F  
High: 55°F ~ Low: 51°F
Thursday, Jan. 19, 2017
The former Daily Statesman is now The Dexter Statesman and currently does not have an operating website.

Prince of Cats survives Tillman Outback

Posted Saturday, October 9, 2010, at 6:46 AM

After 4 weeks lost in the Tillman Wilderness, my housecat Tybalt returned home Sunday night. He had lost 3 pounds but had obviously eluded the resident coyotes, rabid armadillos, and unruly raccoons - not to mention my 3 territorial canines. Here, he's just survived a welcome-home bath.
Last weekend was a memorable one for me on several counts. I'll write about our Class of 1960 reunion next, but by far the most heart-warming part of the Oct. 1 weekend was that my little furry friend Tybalt made his way back out of the woods to the safety of home!

He had been gone 4 weeks, after slipping out a new screen door that I had obviously left unlocked. What happened to him on his adventures in the wilderness is forever locked inside my lively, resourceful little Prince of Cats, but he survived with no more than a loss of three of his nine pounds of body weight.

I'm always bewitched by the series of circumstances which lead to an unexpected discovery, and Tybalt's happy return Sunday night about 8 p.m. is no exception.

For several days, I had been putting two of my three dogs up in the pen, so that they wouldn't bark all night and I could get some sleep. On Sunday night, well after dark, the red-coated, blue-eyed hound dog named Chigger had not come in for the night, so I stood on the porch and called her with a series of whistles and shouts, aimed out into the darkness.

Imagine my elation when I heard a very faint meow! I listened closely - nothing. I called again for Chigger and then listened. There it was - an answering meow. I hardly dared hope, but I called, "Tybalt? Is that you? Where are you?" The meow I heard was his familiar voice, answering me. As I called, the meows got closer and closer. Then the crashing started, and I had a flash of doubt: Could such a small cat cause such a commotion in the dense brush of the old goat pen? It occured to me that it might not be my cat at all. I could be calling up some totally alien creature that would spring from the goat pen and slash me to pieces!

However, the moment that my flashlight beam reflected on those yellow eyes on the other side of the fence, I felt an immense flood of joy wash through me! My little lost cat stepped out and erased a month of guilt and longing.

Though he didn't appreciate the bath he received immediately to wash off the poison ivy and bugs, he was overjoyed to be home again and has eaten me out of house and home ever since! His bones are beginning to be less prominent. He still sleeps a good part of the day, but by the time my daughter arrives this afternoon, our little black cat should be ready for another game of monopoly on the living room floor!

I feel very, very fortunate that it was not my little companion's time to die. The Monday trip to the vet revealed no feline leukemia or parasites - just a 3-pound weight loss. Considering the creepy creatures in the Tillman woods, and the fact that Tybalt had no front claws, the outcome could have been far different. I feel that his experience in catching the mice that I used to have in my basement (and the play mice that my daughter brings home for him) may have kept him in shape for his trek into the Outback.

Thanks for the encouraging words of many of my friends, who told me remarkable stories of survival for the animals they had lost and refound. I held onto those accounts to give me hope, as I prayed for my little buddy's return.

Showing comments in chronological order
[Show most recent comments first]

Congratulations! And best wishes to Tybalt!

"Oh, but anyway, Toto, we're home. Home! And this is my room, and you're all here. And I'm not gonna leave here ever, ever again, because I love you all, and - oh, Auntie Em - there's no place like home!"

-- Posted by lovebooks on Sat, Oct 9, 2010, at 8:11 AM

Maddie, I am so happy for you!!!

-- Posted by BarbaraNTexas on Sat, Oct 9, 2010, at 8:35 AM

What a picture of happiness. Thanks for sharing this wonderful story.

-- Posted by Just Lucy on Sat, Oct 9, 2010, at 10:05 AM

It was a joyful time to see and read of this reunion.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Sat, Oct 9, 2010, at 11:08 AM

Congrats on having your adorable kitty back. It's amazing what those cats can do when we think they are just lazy housecats with no ambition beyond the walk to the food dish.

-- Posted by farmwife2 on Sat, Oct 9, 2010, at 5:20 PM

Do you realize that, in cat years, Tybalt is 68 years old? Mmm...I believe his owner might be around that age, too!

Amazing that he was able to survive for 4 weeks with as little equipment as he had to protect himself! (no claws) I doubt that I would survive a week!

Yes, indeed, God is good!

-- Posted by goat lady on Sat, Oct 9, 2010, at 10:08 PM

MD, Very happy that your "walk-about" feline is back home, with no lasting after effects!! Tom cats are definitely one of His Projects, after all!! I've raised a number of them, claws, "equipment(s)or not, and all, just big baby boys all of 'em, Regards to all, kk

-- Posted by kkcaver47 on Sun, Oct 10, 2010, at 4:06 PM

Wonderful story with a happy ending! I wonder if possibly Tybalt was chased by a critter and running for his life is why he became so disoriented that he couldn't make it back for a month?

But what the heck happened to his front claws? They are definitely required equipment to live in the outback of the Tillman Hills!

-- Posted by FJGuy on Fri, Oct 15, 2010, at 2:00 PM

Wonderful!!! So happy to read this!

-- Posted by Eliza on Thu, Oct 28, 2010, at 8:14 PM

Respond to this blog

Posting a comment requires free registration:

Off the wall
Madeline DeJournett
Recent posts
Blog RSS feed [Feed icon]
Comments RSS feed [Feed icon]
Madeline (Giles) DeJournett is the Advance writer for the North Stoddard Countian. A retired high school English/history teacher, she spent 32 years teaching in 5 schools in Missouri and Alaska. These days, she lives quietly with a menagerie of wild and domestic animals on 52 secluded acres in the remote Tillman hills south of Advance. She graduated from Dexter High School in 1960 and Southeast Missouri State in 1964. She can be contacted at advancensc@sbcglobal.net.
Hot topics
Angels danced the day you were born!
(1 ~ 5:11 AM, Jan 26)

School dreams
(1 ~ 6:11 AM, Jan 14)

It started with a squirrel bite
(1 ~ 10:57 AM, Jan 5)

The day Travis hid in the ham
(0 ~ 5:45 AM, Dec 23)

Making biscuits and memories
(1 ~ 12:19 PM, Dec 8)

© 2017 Dexter Daily Statesman · Dexter, Missouri