[Nameplate] Fair ~ 66°F  
High: 70°F
Saturday, Jan. 21, 2017
The former Daily Statesman is now The Dexter Statesman and currently does not have an operating website.

Man charged in August assault to serve prison sentence

Sunday, December 2, 2012


Statesman Staff Writer

BLOOMFIELD, Mo. - A Dexter man charged in connection with an August 19, 2012, beating in downtown Dexter has been sentenced to prison following a probation violation.

Danny Ray Jones, 27, was arrested and charged with the Class C felony of second degree assault on Aug. 22, 2012.

On Aug. 23, Jones pled guilty to the charges and was sentenced to serve five years of probation with a special stipulation that he pay restitution for the medical expenses incurred by the victim.

On Oct. 18, 2012, Jones was arrested again, this time for the Class C felony of theft/stealing (more than $500--less than $25,000).

That charge resulted in a probation violation for the assault charge.

Jones appeared in court on Thursday and was sentenced to six years in prison for both cases. Pursuant with 559.115 RSMo, he will serve a shock incarceration of 120 days.

He was given a bed date for Dec. 31, 2012.

Judge Joe Z. Satterfield released Jones for the weekend with a stipulation that he surrender to Sheriff Carl Hefner on Dec. 2 at 6 p.m.

If he does not return, he will be required to serve the full six-year term.

Following are the original case facts.

According to the probable cause affidavit filed in a Stoddard County court by Dexter Police Det. Cory Mills, at 7:28 a.m. Aug. 19 Officer John Moore was called to an alleyway behind the 200 block of East Stoddard in reference to an unconscious male.

The subject was found with swelling in both eyes and on the left side of his face. He stated he had been assaulted by Jones and another unknown male subject.

After being transported to Missouri Southern Healthcare, the victim noted that his cellular telephone and wallet containing $300 were missing.

Moore stated there were two areas of dried blood on the pavement where the victim was found.

Other areas of blood were located on the way to Walnut St. where a red handkerchief and a blue lighter, believed to belong to the victim, were found.

He was later transported to St. Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau where he was treated for eye injuries and facial contusions.

On Monday, Aug. 20, 2012, Mills interviewed Jones. Jones reportedly admitted during the interview that he punched the victim twice with a closed fist. He stated that the second punch had knocked the victim unconscious and his face hit the concrete.

Jones stated that prior to the fight, the victim had made a "pass" at Jones's wife in the alley. He said that when he confronted the victim, he had taken a swing at Jones, hitting him on the top of the head.

Jones said the victim appeared intoxicated and said he did not offer him medical assistance after the assault.

Fact Check
See inaccurate information in this story?

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration:

© 2017 Dexter Daily Statesman · Dexter, Missouri