[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 61°F  
High: 61°F ~ Low: 49°F
Friday, Jan. 20, 2017
The former Daily Statesman is now The Dexter Statesman and currently does not have an operating website.

Grayson case set for Dunklin County trial

Wednesday, January 16, 2013


Statesman Staff Writer

BLOOMFIELD, Mo. -- A Dexter man charged with forcible rape has had his case moved to another county.

Moses Grayson, 35, is charged with the Class A felony of forcible rape, the Class A felony of armed criminal action and the Class B felony of first-degree burglary.

On Oct. 23, 2012, Grayson filed for a change of venue and change of judge.

On Nov. 7, 2012, his change of judge request was sent to the Missouri Supreme Court for assignment and Judge Bejamin F. Lewis of Cape Girardeau County was appointed to hear the case.

The first hearing under Lewis took place on Tuesday, Jan. 15, where his case for a change of venue was argued. By agreement of those involved, the case was sent to Dunklin County for a 491 motion hearing and a jury trial.

Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 491 is the rape shield law which is aimed at preventing defense attorneys from inquiring about a rape victim's past sexual experiences.

That hearing will take place on March 22. The case was set for jury trial on May 29-30.

According to the probable cause statement filed in the court by Dexter

Police Department Det. Cory Mills, Grayson parked his van near the victim's home around 5:15 a.m. on Saturday morning, May 21, and made his way into her backyard. He is then alleged to have cut through a window screen to gain entry into the residence.

Grayson found the victim asleep in her bed, and she awakened to him touching her. She told police that when she opened her eyes he held a knife to her throat and told her that he would kill her if she moved.

When the victim failed to obey his commands, he struck her twice in the head with his fist.

He then, according to the report on file, raped the victim despite her cries and continued pleas not to kill her.

Following the incident, she immediately went to police and reported the incident.

Grayson was picked up later in the day at his parent's home in rural Essex.

He remains in jail facing a $50,000 cash bond.

Fact Check
See inaccurate information in this story?

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration:

© 2017 Dexter Daily Statesman · Dexter, Missouri